Trade option for the Bruins to clear some space
Evan Marinofsky of CLNS: The Boston Bruins have about $7.29 million in salary cap space and still need to re-sign RFAs Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo.
Defenseman Torey Krug is eligible for a contract extension as he enters the final year of his deal. He’ll be a UFA after the season.
Looking at five options the Bruins have to create some extra salary cap space for this season.
1. Trade defenseman Kevan Miller or John Moore – Miller has a cap hit of $2.5 million, with Moore coming in at $2.75 million. Moore had shoulder surgery and won’t be ready for the start of the season. Miller is also injured and coming off a fractured knee cap.
2. Do something with David Backes – A high cost to get a team to take his contract. He also has modified NTC.
3. Trade Torey Krug – Maybe the easiest route. He carries a $5.25 million cap hit and will be looking for a big raise after the season. doesn’t think they should go this route.
4. Trade Jaroslav Halak – He carries a $2.75 million cap hit but played a big role that allowed Tuukka Rask to be rested for the playoffs.
5. Trade David Krejci – He carries a $7.25 million salary cap hit through 2020-21. Wouldn’t be easy to replace him on their second line though. Don’t have a center ready to take over that role yet.
On the Marner-Maple Leafs situation
James Mirtle of The Athletic: All the big named forward RFAs appear to be waiting to see what Mitch Marner can get from the Toronto Maple Leafs. The sense is that Marner will get the biggest contract of the bunch. The pressure is on the Leafs to get it done before the start of the season.
There is the sense that Marner asked for an Auston Mathews deal – five years at $11.634 million. doesn’t think that will happen.
Marner reportedly wasn’t interested in an eight-year, $10+ million deal. Marner’s camp may have countered with a three-year deal at around $10 million.
Term will likely be either three, six, or seven years.
From understanding, the Leafs have been trying those terms and in the $9 to $11 million range – depending on the number of years.